Friday, June 26, 2009

Product Review ~MUD Towelettes~

The Make-Up Designory (MUD), a renowned beauty school based in L.A. and NYC, has just released a new product: make-up removing towelettes. They sent me over a package to review, so here's the skinny on the latest addition to my arsenal of beauty tools.

Packaging: The MUD Make-Up Remover Towelettes are packaged in a packet-type container with a resealable slot for depositing fresh wipes; this seal also locks in moisture. At first I was doubtful about this arrangement, because I prefer a more structure package (preferably something tiny I can keep in the medicine cabinet, or something attractive I can keep out on the bathroom vanity). However, when I learned that these are being advertised for space conservation and travel use--"simply toss [into your] carry on, gym bag, purse or work tote"--I realized that it's the perfect design.

Quality: The MUD towelettes do a great job of removing make-up from the face and neck. I particularly like that they are not standard wipes, but rather like an oversized hanky damp with cleanser that provide enough acreage to give your whole face a good scrub without running out of towel. One takes care of the job, and you're done. The first time I used these, I tried using the towelette by itself (it seems to suggest that you can use them in lieu of washing your face), but I personally thought that while my face was clear of make-up (even tricky mascara) there was too much residue from the towelette still on my face. This may be a matter of sensitivity, but I gave my face a quick wash afterward.

After more experience, here's how I would suggest using them:

1) Wash your face with your usual soap (mine is Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser).
2) Use a MUD towelette to remove any excess make-up.
3) Splash water on your face to remove an excess residue from towelettes.

After I wash my face, I typically use make-up remover or astringent to remove remaining traces of make-up, then follow with a toner or moisturizer. MUD towelettes are designed to leave your face feeling fresh and balanced, so you can skip the last step.

Pricing: Suggested retail value is 40 wipes for $18, which equals roughly $2.50 per week for me. I would invest in the towelettes again for travel purposes, but not everyday use.

If you're interested in trying them yourself, you can check them out at the Make-Up Designory shop, under "Skincare."

Be sure to let me know what you think!


No comments: