Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Style Bard Faves

"Style Bard Faves" is a term I coined (heh, I just typed "coin I termed") over at Style Bard Shoes to denote my picks for the best buy within a selection of on-sale shoes. Now I'm gonna use it to tell you about my top five favorites in a number of fashion-related categories. "Style Bard Faves" will be a 5-part series running every Wednesday starting today, on the third anniversary of Style Bard.

First up: (what else?) shoes. I've been writing about shoes on an almost-daily basis at Style Bard Shoes for almost two years, since March 2007. That's 756 shoes in 730 days! Naturally, it's a little hard to pick out a selection of five favorites (and I have maternal guilt about all the hundreds I had to overlook). Yet, here they are:

5) The fourth runner-up out of the five favorite shoes I've come across in the past three years is actually the hardest to choose. Picking out your favorites is easy, but narrowing down the last one to make the cut is tricky. Should I choose another pair of whimsical knee-high boots? Boots are my favorite style of shoe. Should I feature something with a zipper? Style Bard readers know that I'm a sucker for some zipper detailing on a shoe. How about the quintessential Jimmy Choo mid-heel black patent slingbacks, which every girl needs in her shoe armoire? But no. Finally I decided that I needed to choose a flashy, bright, dress-up shoe, the likes of which I'll never be able to buy in real life--something to add balance to the dark, gothic, S&M, romantic shoes I tend to favor. And that's the Swarovski-coated 'Gilda' pump by Gina shoes, a heel which stands out among all other shoes and demands attention. What I wouldn't give to see these in the light of a bright summer day! (Other than the $1,215.00 it would take to make that happen.) At heart, I am a magpie, and I think these shiny shoes deserve a place in my top five faves:


4) I've gotta tell you, I would wear the hell out of these 'Motorcycle Boots' by Tory Burch. I love the hardware, love the glam, love the height and wish like hell I could justify the pricetag. But alas, these gems like so many others just got away from me. They also come in a very similar version with a zipper up the front (swoon), but these are slightly more sexy to me because, in case you didn't know, the Style Bard loves some good motorcycle chic and military authority in her shoes almost as much as a zipper! In the perfect world, I'd have both boots, but this list can only include one:


3) O, 'Frisoni' by Vivre. Every time I lay eyes upon you, I only want you more. I wish I had the nerve several years ago to buy you, even though I'm sure your pricetag was exorbitant and I would have had to drop out of school and move into a box. But oh, what a fabulous pair of shoes I would wear in my cardboard box home under the freeway. You would keep me warm at night with the fiery heat of red velvet, dry the tears from my eyes with the glimmering sight of gold stiletto, and soothe my empty stomach with the raindrops that would collect in your curvaceous black patent heel... O, 'Frison' by Vivre. If I only were as brave as you are beautiful:


2) Coming in at second place, or first runner-up, are a pair I actually own. That counts, right? I bought these Irregular Choice booties from Schuh in London in early 2006, which was waaaaaay before booties became a big-time trend. I absolutely fell in love with them, had to have them, and circled them like a shark until the salesperson came to help me (like someone would steal the display shoe and they wouldn't have any more in the back right?). Then in my near-drooling tizzy, I asked for a size 9. The sales guy stared at my feet for a long moment and said very slowly, "We...don't...carry...size... -hem- 9 ...here." Then I blushed and nervously giggled or hiccuped or something and said, "Oops! 9 American! 9 American! Sorry!" And I actually walked out with a much more reasonable size 7UK. To date, Irregular Choice remains my favorite shoe brand, these continue to be the most expensive pair of shoes I own, and they are absolutely my favorites:


1) But my number one favorite shoe of all time is the 'Arunium' by Manolo Blahnik. I would pretty much trade my firstborn for these heel-less beauties; I might even trade all the rest of my shoes for them (gasp!). If they're even available these days they would retail for an impossible $6,000.00. These are the shoes I will always covet:



Check back next Wednesday for another round of "Style Bard Faves" with a new fashionable topic.

No comments: