Friday, April 03, 2009

PhotoDally

For the record? When Facebook can't load a photo and it gives you this:



It is called a "photodally" ... as if the picture is just dallying, taking it's damn sweet time and smelling the daisies along the side of a 6-lane highway.

Those three fluctuating blue bars are the bane of Facebook. There's no sense of progress. There's no explanation. There's no estimate of how long you'll be waiting for the page to load. It just tells you, quite stoically: "You are not frozen. You are not frozen. You Are. Not. Frozen." (Even though it's essentially the same thing.) You click forward--and then back, aha!--but no, it has outsmarted you. It's still dallying. And dallying. And dallying.

And you just know it's the exact picture you came here to see, the one where all your friends are tagged, you look super hot, it's labeled with a pithy caption, and a slew of in-joke commentary is waiting to be read underneath. But it just...won't...GRR...open!

I think the photodally is a depiction of what the inside of Lennie Small's head looks like when he's confronted with a non yes-or-no question.

So: photodally. Don't ask me why, it's just called that. And I thought you should know, so we're all on the same page when we're lamenting and filing grievances. You're welcome.

P.S. I tried to get it to happen within an album, where it most frequently occurs. But this one time I could go through every album without a dally. What the hell? Because I was looking for it, of course. Sigh. You win, Facebook.

I'll update with that pic the next time I get one. Or if one of you encounters it before I do, feel free to send the screen pic my way. Thanks!


No comments: