Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My Secret ~Tide To Go~

How have I not written about Tide To Go wand yet? I practically worship the thing (no, really. Tide To Go- Tide Wand, to me- is a portable stain remover that costs about $4 at CVS. I keep one of these handy tools in my purse at all times and it has saved me from the utter destruction of favorite clothing more times than I can count. Because I am a hopeless klutz. And I know that if you're not, there's certain to be at least one in your circle of friends and immediate family.

The instructions say to 1) Remove excess residue from stain. 2) Press the tip onto the stain several times to release some stain remover solution onto the stain. 3) Rub the stain gently across the stain to remove it.

My only concern, sometimes, is in the pressing-down action itself (#2). We all know to dab, dab! the stains on your delicate beloved clothing! Or else you can set the stain further! When you actually want to be lifting the stain out. So, for fear that I will damage my stained clothing, I usually apply the pen and release the liquid on the outside of the actual stain, and then use the tip to guide the liquid over the area from the outside in. The packaging also warns against leaving a treated stain in direct sunlight, and if thats necessary, then to remove any excess solution with a napkin or cloth.

The other day, I reached into my bag and (to my dismay!) discovered that the top was off of the wand. Oh no! I thought, worried for the inner liquid contents. It's dried out, it's GONE! Take this red wine away from me right now! My mother was with me at the time, and due to the sheer alarm on my face, went out the next day and bought me a new one as a gift. It's always good to have a backup. It's also always good for people to understand the urgency and importance of the Tide Wand.

I first encountered it last Thanksgiving at the residence of a family friend where we always gather to celebrate the holiday. My sister managed to get a pen streak across a pair of my light green trouser pants, a favorite pair, during Scattergories. The ink was dark blue. It was horrible! I was instantly upset, when lo and behold, the matron of the household rushed to her own purse and grabbed her Tide Wand- the first I'd seen. She was so perfectly confident in its ability to remove the stain- did I mention it was DARK BLUE INK?!- that I used it with utter trust, though bated breath. I pressed the wand down, covered the marred area, and let it dry. Ten minutes later, my pants were dry and the stain was nearly invisible (unless, I admit, you are specifically looking for it). The pants remained wearable, and in ten mere minutes, you'd never know anything had happened. I was instantly hooked, forever convinced. It took me another few weeks to locate the pen in my own local CVS, because it hadn't been released everywhere yet at the time. The first time I actually found it, I literally yelped with excitement, much to the shock of my shopping companion of the time.

Since then, I have personally used the wand to remove ink stains from pens, red wine from my clothes, and pomegranate martini- yes, with real pomegranate juice involved- from my white blouse (this one was hailed as a miracle even by the young male bartender serving us- it also convinced him not to make a rule against me drinking dark liquors). These are just a few of my tales (and all of this just since last November).
Most recently, I was wearing a new pair of Citizen jeans out to a hungarian restaurant where- brace yourself- there was by some gross happenstance a mysterious, disgusting, dark brown gravy-sauce underneath the tabletop. So when I, unwittingly, crossed my legs under the table like a young lady should, my knee went directly into this goop. And it wasn't for at least an hour, when we went to leave, that I pushed my chair back and noticed this hideous, already-drying stain. On.mynew.pants! I was very upset, tease if you must, but I was almost in tears. I was thinking of suing the owners! Or writing a mean worded letter to the local newspaper. Or to Zagat's! They should mention this in their restaurant guide, don't you think?! Instead, while the waiter came over and tried to apologize and soothe me (and to keep me from freaking out the rest of the patrons with my dirge-like wails of woe), I whipped out my pen and began to furiously work at the knee of my pant. I'd never tried the wand on denim before, so this was a real test. I was also rather worried about the solution removing the dye from a pair of pants that had yet to be washed for the first time, but it had to be done. In the end, the wand removed most of the stain. It took a full drying of the pants and a second application to remove the rest (at least, you can't see it without your nose against the fabric, looking past the outer threads). But it worked, and it really saved the day for me (and probably for the owner of the restaurant, heh).

The Tide Wand is an absolute 'must' for any fashionista worth her Jimmy Choos. How can you claim to love your clothes if you don't maintain them with 24/7 vigilance against their possible destruction? Like a boy scout, be prepared! I think the Tide To Go should find a nook in every kitchen or laundry room, and in every woman's purse. Not only will it repeatedly cover your ass in precarious spill situations, but the wand will make you look like an absolute magician in front of those who haven't caught on to its miraculous abilities yet. You'll wow and impress friends by always saving the day when stains seem iminent- at restaurants, parties, meetings.

And don't forget, this goes for you, men, too! Maybe you can't have it on your person at all times like the ladies, but try keeping a wand in your desk drawer or glove compartment. It'll not only keep you neat and tidy, but trust me, the ladies will notice that you make an effort to take care of things that matter to you.

And of course, for such a cheap price and such ready availability, it will always make a thoughtful little extra gift. So go buy one!

1 comment:

Cara said...

A young lady is supposed to cross her legs at the ankle, you shameless hussy.